[chuck-users] Reading materials.

babiakb at bellsouth.net babiakb at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 12 17:44:43 EDT 2006

people might disagree with me, but i don't think most of what you said will help you.  for example, the csound book would help on all the above areas in depth, but i don't think you chuck music would be better.  i think roads computer music tutorial is the only thing anyone needs to start in computer music.  it's a great book.

also, chuck is not really the most musical tool in it's current incarnation.  it's a lot like csound or supercollider.  it;s more for experimental synthesis, understanding sound, etc.  if you are just trying to make good new electronic music of any genre, ableton is the simplest path from brain to speaker, whether glitch, electro, classical, indie pop, trance, you name it.  the stars of music either use cubase/ableton/protools, or hardware.  mostly hardware.  for example, everyone says autechre uses maxmsp, but they don't  on envane and the previous album, they use max to control their hardware, and the max interface was self-designed.  albeton now does the same thing right out of the box.

chuck for me is like supercollider, to make experimental sounds, learn about sound synthesis and algorithmic music.  all these topics are covered beautifully in roads' book.  to just make a good tune, grab a damn guitar.  you don't chuck sine oscillators to dacs and then construct an lpf out of biquads to make music easily ;)  all that would be like two clicks in fl studio or ableton, and sound the damn same.  you do this to hold sound in your hands and learn.

probably going to get flamed for this pov, but that's my 2c.