[chuck-users] How can I filter silence?

Graham Coleman gc at gehennom.net
Sun Sep 24 15:50:44 EDT 2006

I came up with some cheesy code to implement the idea.
It speeds up the tape when it hits silence. You'll need to
tune the time constants and the threshold for best results:

sndbuf buf => dac;
buf.read("speak/wave.wav");
buf.pos( 0 );

0.05 => float tresh;
0.01 => float rt; //release const
0.4 => float at; //attack const
float xd;

while(true) {

  math.fabs( buf.last() )-xd => float a; //amp diff
  if ( a < 0 ) 0=>a; //non-negative
  xd*(1-rt)+at*a => xd; //the attack/release exponential filter

  if ( xd<tresh ) {
    buf.pos( buf.pos()+6 ); //skip ahead
  }

  1::samp=>now;
}

To compute the time constants, use this formula:
//AT = 1 - e ^ (-2.2T/t<AT)

or this if t is in samples:

time const = 1.0 - exp( -2.2 / t );

best,