[chuck-users] Recommended books?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Aug 5 14:24:12 EDT 2007

garton at columbia.edu wrote:
> One of the primary author's of ChUcK, Perry Cook hisself, has
> several terrific books out.  You might want to check:
>
> "Real Sound Synthesis for Interactive Applications"
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781568811680&itm=16
>
> for a good intro into the theory behind sound synthesis and DSP.  It
> includes a CD-ROM with the STK on it, the basis for a lot of CHuck
> dsp stuff.
>

> My old 'recommend this' standby is by Charles Dodge and Thomas
> Jerse:
>
> "Computer Music: Synthesis, Composition, and Performance"
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780028646824&itm=1
>
> although it is indeed old now.  I think they updated it not too long
> ago, but it does talk a lot about ugen theory, etc.
>

> The Big Giant Book That is Really Big and Giant That Covers
> Everything and it is Really Big and Giant is a collection put out
> by
> Curtis Roads (former and long-time editor of the Computer Music
> Journal):
>
> "Computer Music Tutorial"
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780262680820&itm=1
>

> I also know that Eduardo Reck Miranda has a new synth-techniques
> book out, don't know anything about it though.
>

> There was a terrific 'on-line' book/tutorial that Larry Polansky,
> Douglas Repetto and Mary Lee Roberts developed, but I'm not sure
> what happened with it.  You might try contacting douglas (douglas -
> at - music ddot columbia dot edu) to see what happened to it.  It
> had some wonderful interactive tutorials.
>

> You might also want to scan the music-dsp reviews to see if any of
> those appeal to you:
>
> http://www.music.columbia.edu/cmc/music-dsp/dspbooks.html
>

> Finally, for a really fun read that introduces a lot of
> music-cognition work (if you are interested, this is not a 'techie'
> book at all), Dan Levitin has a great one:
>
> "This Is Your Brain on Music"
> http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780452288522&itm=2
>

> Hope this helps...
>
> brad
> http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Well ... yeah ... they're all good, and of course I have all of them.
But I also don't think a working computer musician can live without Dr.
Richard Boulanger's "The CSound Book".

http://csounds.com/book/index.html

Which reminds me ... I need to update my web page
(http://algocompsynth.com) to add some pointers to ChucK!