[chuck-users] Bug; Delay floating point denormalisation

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 07:15:22 EDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Ge Wang <gewang at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:

> Hi Kassen!

Hi Ge, long time no read, hope you are well!

> I wasn't able to reproduce the denormalization symptoms even with a
> much smaller feedback gain (.1 and .001), and looking through the
> code for Delay and Envelope didn't raise any immediate red (or
> orange) flags.

That's odd, I was able to spike the CPU, then take it out again with a HID
command so I would be very surprised if that CPU spike came from anything
else. Also; I didn't see any spikes at all untill I added this delay/
envelope combo to my code.

Perhaps my Pentium4 deals with this matter differently then your Mac? This
would be a issue where CPU architecture matters quite a bit, I imagine.

  However, the gain on the Envelope itself is an
> unchecked multiplicant.  I've added the check to de-denormalize on
> that gain, which means it should affect all UGen.gain.  Hopefully
> this will keep things under control.  The fixed version is in CVS.

Ok. Then I'll keep this code like this and get into the habbit of manually
switching off the feedback every once in a while and see wether the update
fixes this.

BTW, I don't think I saw a reply from you on those issues (from a while
back) with array instantiations and larger arays of Ugens in classes yet,
did you perhaps find some time to look into those as well?

Thanks,