[chuck-users] A example that needs correction

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sun Aug 19 01:50:03 EDT 2007

Hi Gasten!

> Hi! I was investigating what I could use the spork-keyword for when I
> stumbled on this problem in the examples:
> The example fm3.ck is pretty wrong. It says that fm-synthesis is at
> sync
> 0 on SinOsc's, but that isn't true. sync 0 is sync frequency. fm2.ck
> does it right however.

Ah, yes - actually we are both right.  fm2.ck, which is an example of
classic FM synthesis (sync == 2), is actually not modulating
frequency directly, but the instantaneous phase (which in turn
modulates frequency, but in a different manner).  fm3.ck and
correspondingly 0=>sync, demonstrates the result of modulating the
frequency directly.  I've added a bit more explanation in the
examples to help clarify.

In case anyone is wondering, here is a great explanation of FM
synthesis by Julius Smith:

     http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/mdft/
Sinusoidal_Frequency_Modulation_FM.html

> Anyways, this is the result of my tries:
> http://hauntedhouse.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/ambientic-monotonic-
> pieceus/

Sounds totally sweet!

If you'd like, you should share this on the wiki!

     http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/ChucK/Sounds
     http://wiki.cs.princeton.edu/index.php/ChucK/Programs

Thanks for the post!

Best,