[chuck-users] Compiling chuck on UbuntuStudioGutsy32

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 06:15:35 EST 2007

Eric Hedekar wrote:

> make linux-jack
> make -f makefile.jack
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/stochastic/Desktop/ChucK/chuck-1.2.1.1/src <http://1.2.1.1/src>'
> g++ -D__LINUX_JACK__ -c -O3 -D__CK_SNDFILE_NATIVE__ rtaudio.cpp
> rtaudio.cpp:2715:23: error: jack/jack.h: No such file or directory
> rtaudio.cpp:2721: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'jack_client_t'
> with no type
> rtaudio.cpp:2721: error: expected ';' before '*' token
> rtaudio.cpp:2722: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'jack_port_t'
> with no type
> rtaudio.cpp.......
>
> what obvious part am I missing?

This is a common problem when compiling stuff from source: missing
packages. It's easy to install the needed packages your self, if you
know what you need!

First install apt-file (and run "sudo apt-file update"). Now look at the
errors you got. The first problem marked "error" says that it can't find
a file called "jack.h", however apt-file can find it for you: "apt-file
search jack.h", which I think (I'm not on ubuntu) will report
libjack-dev. So you do "sudo apt-get install libjack-dev". Run make
again, and repeat the above for other missing packages.

> It would really be nice if some proper Linux documentation could be
> written into the upcoming versions of the install tutorial.  I'd be
> happy to help write it once I understand it.

I can understand that you'd rather have a nice list of packages to
install, but I personally don't think this is such a good idea, mainly
because it's likely to become unmaintained quite quickly. Remember that
the problems you encountered are not a sign of anything not working,
quite the opposite. It's a perfectly normal behaviour and the error
messages even give you an exact description of the problem.

After you've done this a few times with a few programs, I suspect you'll
agree with me that it's quite straight forward, and that a list of
packages to install beforehand is not needed...

NB: Glad to hear that you got it working!

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen