[chuck-users] simple distortion/clipping

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 18:28:51 EST 2007

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out how to do some simple distortion /
clipping in Chuck.
I'm not sure I fully understand the GenX objects.  Is this the best
way to do it?

Ideally I just want something that clips a waveform when it exceeds x or -x.
Even better if the "corner" is somewhat rounded, but not necessary.
I thought there might be a simple "Clip" UGen but it doesn't seem to exist.

By the way, on a similar topic, what happens exactly when the signal
input in "dac" exceeds [-1,1]?
It doesn't really sound like clipping to me, so is it integer
wrapping?  I find my audio output significantly degrades (i.e., sound
pops, goes silent, or makes strange unpleasant noises) when I exceed
this limit, so I always have to fight to keep it within the correct
range.

Steve
(currently working on my first chuck-related music performance!)