[chuck-users] Compiling chuck on UbuntuStudioGutsy32

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 02:40:22 EST 2007

Eric Hedekar wrote:

> Hmm, I've been using linux for the last four years and this is the first
> time anyone has ever told me about apt-file.  Nearly every package I've
> ever needed to install from source has listed the dependencies.

You mean like a list of dependencies?
http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/release/ says you need

#  source
# dependency: libsndfile
# ALSA, JACK, or OSS
(you should already have one)
# gcc, lex, yacc, make
(you better have these)

I know that this is not ubuntu specific, but please remember that there
are lots of other linux distributions outthere, and maintaning a list of
packages for redhat, suse, gentoo, slaxware, debian and ubuntu (aren't
those the 6 biggest ones?) is not something we should ask the chuck
developers...

> I can see where you're coming from with the package list possibly not
> being maintained, but it'd still be better than nothing at all.

Then go ahead and make a list :-) I'll just not be using it...

> I knew
> all along that the error messages are there for a reason, I just didn't
> understand what they were saying.

Ok. Did you actually read them or just think "oops, errors, I must have
done something wrong"? No offence, but in my oppinion "error:
jack/jack.h: No such file or directory" is quite easy to understand :-)

   This does not mean that things are
> working fine.  If audio enthusiasts such as myself need to know of
> obscure (maybe apt-file is not obscure,

It's not obscure, it's just cool :-)

> and I've been living under a
> rock) linux admin commands to get ChucK installed then something is not
> working - the install interface.

Compiling a program from source is not that tricky, but compared with
synaptic it's "linux admin", I agree. So either one sticks with the
software available through synaptic or one learns to compile from source.

I simply tried to help you understand, in a more general way, how to
compile a piece of software, so that you'll know what to do next time
you need to.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte