[chuck-users] Controling Chuck - building accessible GUI

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 28 18:46:42 EST 2007

Hi there again. Hope your having a good holiday.

I've not forgotten about the XUL interface to ChucK idea.  I've benn working
on a little test page which summarizes the basic XUL elements and documents
some screen reader  hints. I've only tested with Jaws, so would be
interested to see how Dolphin handles it.
Try the following:
http://www.mit.edu/~rjc/xulTests/tests.zip

If you unzip that in windows and then click on "run simple as chrome", this
should launch firefox with the page loaded, and without any of the browser
window furnature. This is probably the mode in which we'll want to use it,
and it is the mode which seems to work best with Jaws. The XUL document
explains more.  Note you can also just open the simple.xul file with firefox
and then turn off all of your screen reader's virtual buffer handling stuff
(does Dolphin even have this concept - never used HAL ).

I want to include more element types - the tree element is definately
missing...

I'd recommend installing the latest firefox nightly build:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-3.0b3pre.en-US.win32.installer.exe

If that doesn't work, try:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/
and choose the windows installer file ...

Even if this ChucK thing never gets off the ground, I still like XUL and
what the Mozilla folks are doing. I think it is a powerful way to write
GUI-based apps which does not require fancy visually-based gui builders.
The suite of technologies (i.e. XUL/XBL/HTML + CSS + JS) keeps semantics
separate from presentation and can produce some very powerful results fairly
quickly.  Ad the OS access through XPCOM and you have a great way to write
GUIs for almost anything.

-- Cheers, Rich