[chuck-users] JACK Transport

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jan 5 19:47:26 EST 2007

Hi Esben,
I don't think that there are any plans for JACK transport support at
this time, although it would be nice.  Since ChucK relies on Gary
Scavone's excellent RtAudio project for real-time audio output, all
of its interactions with audio drivers are handled by RtAudio.
RtAudio doesn't seem to support JACK transport at the moment, and it
would be difficult for us to to do it ourselves as we would have to
re-merge the JACK transport code into RtAudio every time we wanted to
incorporate a new RtAudio release.  The solution to that problem
would be to have RtAudio support JACK transport and freeload off of
that, but Im not very familiar with the development plans for that
project and don't know how feasible that would be.

I realize OSC isn't perfect, but its worked reliably for us for
syncing real-time audio within a single machine or across wired/
wireless networks.  That might be something to try out until JACK
transport support eventually comes along.  Are there specific syncing
problems that you are working on that OSC can't help with?

spencer