[chuck-users] Cpu time between audio samples?

karl petermichl audioworld at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:59:04 EST 2007

Thank you, Kas, for the insights:

> Somewhere about a year ago or so there was a fair amount of talk on the
list about using arrays of floats to record to,
> then chuck   values in them to Impulse or Step once per sample. That might
be a interesting place to start, you could do some
> variations on Karplus-Strong using that. You could also implement anything
found in texts on DSP or your own concoctions doing it
> this way but be prepared to spend a lot of time optimising. Do use Gain in
it's various modes for all multiplications at sample-rate;
> this  realy saves a lot of cpu time at the expense of some readablity.

ok, I will search the archives. However, DSP code fragments is exactely what
I thought to do. Some 15 years ago I coded on DSP level, but since than lost
track of all those new chip types, developement kits etc... also, compiling
and uploading code to a chip (I had to burn EPROMS for every little change
in those days) is not as efficient as klicking on "Replace Shred" in the
Mini..--)))

Question: would it be possible to give rough numbers of processing "costs"
for each operation of ChucK? (not right now, but in some later revision of
the manual). I remember in those very thick books about the DSP assembler
language they always gave some kind of DSP cycles per operation, helping us
to optimize code and maybe use 100 "dumb" instructions instead of 1 elegant,
but enormousely DSP intensive...

>for moments when this method sounds like real fun.

YES!

20:29