[chuck-users] OSC reliability issues

Bradford Garton garton at columbia.edu
Thu Jan 25 13:15:18 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, David Michael wrote:

> In my particular application, timing isn't critical - but receiving
> the message is (TCP).

I wonder about something -- this is based on really ancient knowledge
(like 10+ years ago...) and contemporary implementations of socket-reading
code may just Do the RIght Thang, but I recall sometimes having to do
repeated reads on a socket to get the full packet, especially if some
'non-standard' size was being transmitted.  Something like this:

    amt = read(ns, (void *)sptr, sizeof(struct sockdata));
    while (amt < sizeof(struct sockdata))
       amt += read(ns, (void *)(sptr+amt), sizeof(struct sockdata)-amt);

I also haven't looked at cHUcK's implementation of of the socket stuff.

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad