[chuck-users] Destroying object instances ... unchuck?

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jan 29 19:39:18 EST 2007

Hi Brad!

> When you guys are doing the GC implementation, could you also put in the
> ability to disable it by the user?

Definitely.  We plan to provide, at the initial GC release stage, options
for disabling garbage collection and for choosing among several
implementations.  As time goes on, we hope to narrow this to the option
to one or two methods, plus the option to not automatically garbage
collect.

> I can imagine there are times when having a big GC kick in wouldn't be a
> good thing to do.

Yup.  We are looking at different approaches to real-time friendly GC that
makes sense for ChucK.  We hope to adopt some kind of generational,
incremental GC scheme.  Nonetheless, it would be good to have the option
for disabling it all.

Best,
Ge!