[chuck-users] New to ChucK => couple of questions (-s) (Midi Relelated);

Steve Salmon massplanck at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 21:08:44 EDT 2007

Hey.

I'm new to programming and ChucK, but im loving it. i'm very keen to learn
as I like making music in weird ways :)
I have just made something i call "my crappy riff generator" (spits out
random patterns and loops them for 8 bars, repeats process untill i heard
something i like and i break out of the random loop kinda thing and let it
play longer).

I am trying to get this running through Abelton to drive a softsynth. I
found the MIDIsender class that someone here created (well done!!), and
*can* get Chuck sending some Midi Note Ons to my softsynth .. but and bare
with me because maybe i dont have some of the underlying concepts right in
my head.

When I try and run a ChucK file whilst abelton is open i get a "could not
open channel/ cannot initialise audio device" type error.. (sorry i dont
have the error specifics infront of me right now), but from what i can
gather Abelton is in charge of the DAC when it tries to run a ck file and
thus it whinges .
To get around this i used the -s option when running my script (silences the
audio) and  it sort of *runs* but ChucK seems to have zero concept of time
once the -s option is used. Its a mess of overlapping note ons... everything
happens at once and worse.

Even when i tested with a few lines of <<< insert message here >;> 1::second
=> now; all the messages get printed to the screen at the same time if i use
the -s option.
So its a catch 22 situation, i cant run my ck files whilst abelton is
running without the -s option , but when i run ck files with the -s option
all timing goes out the window.

Awaiting answers which point to a large white elephant sitting in the room.
;)
Cheers
Steve

NB. I dont have any midi clock setup ( i cant find how to do this in manual
) but chuck should still play notes in ableton like it does in chuck
surely...