[chuck-users] osc guitar

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 10 12:26:00 EDT 2007

Hi Joshua!

Welcome and thanks for the post.  Just adding a more points to the
insightful posts by Kassen, John, and Brad.

As Kassen mentioned, ChucK, while relatively young and immature as a
language, can be (and has been) quite useful and fun to learn about
sound/music synthesis, controller mapping, and much of computer music
in general.  As one develops more proficiency with ChucK (we believe
a strength of ChucK is that it's fairly straightforward to "grok"),
we hope the various features of the language (precise control over
time, parallelism via "shreds", on-the-fly programming) will
naturally present themselves as building blocks for making cool,
interesting audio programs.

Having said that, we also believe that it's a really great idea to
try different languages and programming paradigms (e.g., also csound,
supercollider, rtcmix, pd/max, etc.), for each has its strengths and
limitations.  Knowng the few major programming models will aid you in
choosing the right tool(s) for the task at hand.

As for your set up, we are very excited to hear about how things go!
Once you are able to get OSC messages to the computer, you might
check out the OSC chuck examples to see how to receive/send OSC
messages.  In the meantime, as John and Kassen said, play/break/
improve the examples, read resources, experiment, and post questions
here or at the forum (http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-140.html).

Perhaps most importantly, have fun with it!

Happy ChucKing.

Ge!