[chuck-users] report on my first livecoding gig

Loscha loscha at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 12:14:25 EDT 2007

I'd love to see your code, Kassan.

I found that varying the Blit Saw, I was able to get somewhere in the
range of timbre I wanted for trying to do a TB-303 type device. I
wasn't too successful, but, I think that this is where one would start
if you were to be a bit more serious about it. It's a future idea for
me to work on. It was interesting to use Blit Saw and Square waves to
test the upper limits of whatever speaker system I was using, and
headphone types and such (and my own hearing, also!).

I need to experiment with the waveshaping functions to get a
distortion that I am happy with. I know people have done a lot of work
with this in CSound, but, the type of distortion I like (the Boss
Metal Zone) would perhaps be better acheived band-splitting the
signal, and then distorting and then combining again. I haven't
attempted this yet. I know the *theory* of what I want to do, and I
own the Metal Zone service manual. Maybe I'll wait for ChucK version
6.2 when I can input specific electronic components :P

You're probably away of how a single impulse => highly resonant filter
is exactly how many voices on analog drum synths work. I suppose I
should get around to having a go at making a drum synth that performed
like that. Randomizing the "components" at startup might prove useful
in humanizing the tone a little bit, as well as adding a low noise
floor, to alter the zero crossing stability whotzit.

-Ed

www.loscha.com