[chuck-users] SndBuf causes hickup

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:42:26 EDT 2007

Drew Jaworski wrote:

> Here's what I do when using SndBuf:.
> This is just a quick and dirty copypasta of a random old project, so
> replace the files with any random percussive sounds you have, and
> something interesting should arise. :P

I'm still not able to get satisfying results. With something similar to
your example I use about 25% for miniAudicle without doing anything
(except having the samples loaded). Might be because I have the SndBuf's
connected to dac. This is getting too complicated for me.

However a friendly geek from my local LAU suggested "cat *.wav >
/dev/null". This *really* works. I just did a small test, but it seems I
can now use SndBuf with jack latency at 4.6ms (maybe lower didn't try)
without a glitch. A no .chunks, or nothting, just regular =>load, =>pos.
And I can of course cat to /dev/null while miniAudicle is running
without disrupting the playback either!

I realize and appreciate the decision about not caring too much about
performance in chuck, but would you say that not being able to use
SndBuf in the ways I tried is acceptable performance? Would you (the
developers) consider looking at SndBuf implementation, esp under linux,
again to see if everything is like it should be? Please :-)

Anyways, if my trick proves to work as well as my tests suggests, I'll
keep on using it until chuck gets better SndBuf performance. It seems
cleaner, doesn't require extra chuck code to be written or concepts to
be considered and it doesn't interfer with other aspects of chucks
performance.

I hope this helps others in similar situations :-)

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://atte.dk       | http://myspace.com/attejensen