[chuck-users] ~

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 06:53:10 EST 2007

isjtar wrote:
> Op 8-mrt-07, om 12:21 h
> are you sure about that? general consensus in the maxworld seems to
> be that the gpl for externals is not a problem because max is an
> interpretor and doesn't not have to be free.

No, I'm not sure.  I've never looked at the license for the Cycling '74
SDK and I don't know if there's anything that has to be linked to or a
rather small interface that just has to be implemented.  But the
interpreter point is irrelevant since the externals aren't written in
Max.  Max patches being GPL'ed is something rather different.

I don't expect Ge & Friends are going to sick hordes of lawyers on Brad
anytime soon, but just wanted to raise the issue as something for the
ChucK to clarify at some point.  And there are some things that I've
toyed around with that wouldn't be possible with the current licensing.

Note:  I'm not trying to discourage usage of the GPL, but there are
advantages and disadvantages to each of the different flavors of OSS
licenses.

-Scott (who decided to start dual licensing his stuff GPL/MPL  :-) )