[chuck-users] Sndbuf: Unclear Error Message

Veli-Pekka Tätilä vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Mar 13 08:45:11 EDT 2007

Hi list,
A minor gripe about error handling. When the sndbuf module cannot find a
file it says in my Win XP machine (ChucK 1.2.0.7):

[chuck](via sndbuf): cannot stat file '../data/snare.wav'...

This is very unclear unless you are a Unix programmer. I mean, to the
average musician whether or not the stat system call is used and fails is of
littel relevance. Where as something like file not found, would describe the
error in much more abstract terms. This is a very minor thing I know, and
Unix is full of such attitude, but I still don't like it from a usability
point of view.

Thought I'd let you know, anyway.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila at mail.student.oulu.fi)