[chuck-users] Doing something to all members of a class?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:25:52 EDT 2007

On 3/13/07, Scott Wheeler <wheeler at kde.org> wrote:

Yes, that makes sense.  I think many ChucK users and certainly the
> developers come from a C++ / Java background, so things like the static
> keyword are already known.

Yes, I ran into other situations where things were unclear to me in similar
ways before. I have more of a background in formal logic so I get the
overall structures of how things work and how to try to acomplish tasks on a
abstract level but I run into trouble with things like this, at least when I
want to do it nicely and compactly. A similar thing happened with the way
the old keyboard function returned key-presses. That turned out to be very
standard and quite usable but that's hard to deal with when you don't know
what "standard" is.

Personaly I like it this way; I get to pick up lots of tricks that will
likely be usefull in the future and clearly the bits taken from C++ and java
work very well but there might also be a lesson here. It'd be good to keep a
eye on things like this and try to document these things a bit more
explicidly because I'm not the only one for whom ChucK is the first
encounter with real object oriented programing (especially on the forum
there are people signing up that are just starting to write any code at all)
and hopefully there will be many more (considdering the educational goals).

Happy to be a guinea pig,