[chuck-users] strange behaviour of shakers ugen

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 22 21:32:54 EDT 2007

Hi moudi,
There are many aspects of Shakers that are opaque to me, but from
what I can glean from the source, in the guiro (3) and wrench (10)
presets of Shakers there is a notion of "ratchet position".  This I
assume is the position of the scraping object (the ratchet) along the
notched surface.  The position of the ratchet determines the number
of individual ratchet sounds and thus the length of the produced
sound.  Taking a look at the source, the ratchet position starts out
at 10 when you call preset(3); it is increased by 1 each time you
call noteOn; it decreases for each actual ratchet sound that is
heard; and it is set to 0 when you call noteOff.  Thus, calling
noteOn several times is one possible way to set the ratchet position
to a certain level.  Alternatively, you could call preset(3) to reset
the position to 10 each time.  I'm not sure if this is the best
approach, but it works.

spencer