[chuck-users] "playing" chuck

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 12:01:58 EDT 2007

On 5/30/07, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's clear that I'd like to take this moment to encourage people to
> try livecoding a few times but it should also be clear that there is no
> pressure on anyone. There is most definately nothing wrong with making
> softsynths "OSC-enabled, cross-platform sound drivers" or midi-learn tools
> for devices that lack one!

I think this is what has impressed me most about chuck so far (in the
short time I've been looking at it).  In short, most all of the
functionality provided by other apps (sequencing, jack-aware, OSC,
midi, synth capabilities, etc.) are all provided by one single
"language" that is easily scripted.  I felt much like stephan, in that
if I wasn't live coding I wasn't welcome.  this idea was, of course,
wrong - I had "prejudged" the chuck community prior to actually
checking it out for myself.

I'm so excited about this tool that I can barely stand it.  finally, a
toolkit without a gui!  yes!  and it does everything you could want it
to do.  besides, as stated before it is jack/midi/osc aware, so it
*should* play nicely with other apps that are the same.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com