[chuck-users] zipper noise

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:26:02 EDT 2007

Hi,

Sometimes I've noticed zipper noise when using Chuck.  Specifically if
I'm doing some sort of modulation in a loop, I'll get artifacts
because I'm instantaneously setting a parameter once every 10ms or so.
 Ideally changing the time-length of the loop shouldn't really change
the sound much (except to make longer latency), but I find that there
are drastic differences between using 1::samp, 5::samp, 1::ms, 10::ms,
mostly due (I think) to the frequency of these artifacts.

Has anyone noticed this?  What measures do you take to fix it?

I'm wondering if it would be useful to be able to specify ramp times
(or some global ramp time) for when you set a parameter.  (Of course
that would be a bit tricky to implement...)
Perhaps each parameter could have a per-sample lowpass on it, but I
guess that would greatly increase processing needs.

How is this currently handled in Chuck?

cheers,
Steve