[chuck-users] SinOsc => Pan2.pan?

Peter Todd chuck at xinaesthetic.net
Sat Nov 10 06:16:51 EST 2007

Hi,

You can't chuck audio signals into parameters like that.  What you must do
is something like

SinOsc osc => Pan2 pan => dac;
SinOsc panMod => blackhole;
while (true)
{
    panMod.last () => pan.pan;
    1::samp => now;
}

Of course, you may then run your loop less frequently than every 1::samp,
which is probably advisable in many circumstances to save CPU.  It seems to
me that it would be nice to be able to chuck audio signals about more
arbitrarily.  I don't know if they've implemented it this way simply because
if they made it too easy people (especially beginners) would end up
overdoing it (particularly with things like filter cutoff which I understand
would trigger lots of extra computation) without thinking about it.  Maybe
it would make sense to have an operator like ~=>, for example, which would
do the above automatically but still force the user to be aware that they
were doing something potentially expensive etc.  Perhaps there could even be
a way of adjusting the property of such a link that governed how often the
value was updated.

On a somewhat related note, I don't know what the most elegant way of making
it happen would be, but it seems like it could be nice to have the ability
to run some UGens in a programme at different sample rates.  In pd, there is
[switch~] which can cause subpatches and their children to change block size
(not relevant in chuck I understand) and up / down sample audio signals
(perhaps difficult to apply to chuck).  This can save quite a bit of cpu for
LFOs etc, but I guess it may not be trivial to do something very similar in
chuck.  Perhaps if rather than just having blackhole, there was something
like a Blackhole object with a sample rate parameter... again, there may be
no neat way of implementing such a thing, though.

Any more insights into this most welcome,
Peter