[chuck-users] shreds, namespace, functions, classes, etc

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 12:45:50 EST 2007

On 11/15/07, Peter Todd <chuck at xinaesthetic.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think it's not so much a question of 'what a shred is', as a more
> general issue of the scope of variables that are declared within a function
> (ie, they are not accessible outside the scope of said function).  I'm about
> to leave my house, and not feeling quite clear enough to explain more
> completely, but I hope that's enough to point you in the right direction.

Yes, I know variables declared within a function belong to that function and
can't be adressed from the outside but member variables of *objects* can be
adressed from the outside and when sporking the function becomes a object.

With all due respect I do think there are some big questions here about
"what a Shred is". I can execute the following;

Shred foo[3];

foo[0].exit();

This is quite mysterious to me, here a "Shred" (object) that's not a "shred"
(sub-process) can "exit". Those two lines don't generate any errors,
apparently they are fine but I have no idea what they do.