[chuck-users] easy random numbers

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:17:31 EST 2007

On 19/11/2007, David Powers <cyborgk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess you need some pseudo-random number to multiply by, such as the
> system time in milliseconds... However I'm not sure how one would get
> the system time into ChucK.

No, I'm nearly 100% sure you can't, in fact I put that on the wish-list last
time we were asked for wishes for exactly this reason (and to be able to
make a ChucKoo clock, of course!)

I suppose that you could run some sort of batch script, or say a
> couple lines of Python, that either gets the current system time, or
> creates some type of random seed number; then generates a ChucK file
> with that seed number as a global variable.

Perhaps a script could call the .ck with the system time as a parameter?
That sounds reasonable enough, I'm no BASH/ batch wizzard but that should be
quite possible.

It's a interesting problem.