[chuck-users] Controling Chuck - building accessible GUI

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 19 18:14:19 EST 2007

Hey, just saw your blog and your XUL project, but didn't see any contact for
you. So, glad you responded; thanx ...

Anyhow, text only interfaces are inherently more accessible, but not always
optimal for the job.  What I am ultimately wanting is something like PD, or
at the very least a good synth like dimensionPro which I can actually
control in real time.  I want to play with sound, not play with code!
<smile>

Last time I tried PureData, it was completely inaccessible to my screen
reader.  To make something accessible takes some planning (use the right
toolkit and use standard widgets/components which have accessibility hooks
already in them), and test with real users! For instance, if your going to
use Java, then you either need to use Swing and its standard components, or
write your own code to properly use the Java Accessibility API on your own
AWT widgets (a fair amount of extra work so I've been told).  Since most
sighted software designers insist on creating their own widgets, accessible
software tends to be hard to find, especially in music land.

It would be very cool to have some sort of physical control over a virtual
software synth, but again this does not come in a vacuum. You need to be
able to setup your controller to control what you want, in the way you want.
This generally requires the ability to interact with your synthesis software
and whatever software runs the controller.  This again depends on the
accessibility of both.

So, perhaps your  little XUL experiement will be at least a start. The great
thing about XUL/JS is that:
1. XUL produces accessible UI widgets with little effort
2. There seem to be a good number of standard and useful widgets/controls
implemented
3. Javascript is powerful and fairly easy to program
4. you don't need complex IDEs (which are usually not accessible via screen
reader) to write fairly complex  XUL/JS code

All that said, I have some basic uqestions about your software:
1. My screen reader only runs on windows (boo), so what (in general terms)
do I need to get libLo running
2. Do I need anything else to get chuck to work with libLo

Thanx much in advance.
-- Rich