[chuck-users] Controling Chuck - building accessible GUI

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 19 18:31:38 EST 2007

Hmm, I actually meant the mini-audicle...

Because I was never really able to use it, I'm not sure exactly what it allows one to do, but I assume that it allows one to write code in some sort of editor and then send that off to chuck to be run.   Is this true? If so, then the text editor also needs to be accessible: need to use a standard multi-line textbox (standard multiline text widget in whatever toolkit your using) and hope that the screen reader knows what it is.

  >What I wasn't able to do was end arbitrary shreds in the Mini's console monitor without using the mouse (and thus depend on visual feedback), you can navigate the table of shreds using only the keyboard and >all fields are labelled in plain text but on my Linux install I couldn't get the keyboard control to go to the table itself and hitting enter on the field that should remove the shred didn't do a thing.
  Yes, if there was a keyboard command to bring focus to the table of schreds and keyboard commands for removing and whatever else you can do with each schred, theis would help tremendously.

  >How far would those two additions get you? I think those would be nice to have for anyone and might especially enable people on a screen reader to navigate the whole program and those wouldn't require >anything near the effort of a whole re-write of the Audicle.
  Agreed, I think they would be very helpful additions.

  From altern's message on this thread, it seems that Java Swing will interface with OSC, and Sun has put a lot of work into making this toolkit accessible. Thus, when you use a standard swing control in your program, Java knows how to:
  1. keyboard enable this by default
  2. communicate the state of the control to the access technology (screen reader)

  I'll have to check this out more thuroughly. Perhaps it would be more effective to write the UI in Java, but XUL just seems to be a natural for writing UIs.

  In any case, thanx for all the responses to my message. I'll post more when I've tried a few things...

  -- Rich