[chuck-users] sitar and voic-form

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:17:14 EST 2007

On 30/11/2007, Macciza Macpherson <macciza at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> From memory all the KP style ugens in the STK framework expect a
> 'lowest freq' at init

Makes perfect sense, yes, otherwise they might demand virtually unlimited
amounts of memory. This seems to be the bit that's missing in Sitar in the
ChucK version. Part of the issue might be that the STK uses constructors but
ChucK doesn't support those (yet?).

Voic-form is a 4-band formant synth not actually a speech synth. good
> vowel sounds though

Ok, but does that mean we couldn't get "c"/"k"/"p" etc sounds through clever
usage of enveloped noise in the exciter signal? Or is there none? Some of
the sounds did sound to me like a exciter/resonator system.

Check the orig STK project at http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/stk/
> index.html for more info

I've got the little book! :-) I'll read up on this one tonight when I'm back
home. I'd really like ChucK to be able to say "chuck" and the STK code is
quite accessible. A first step might have to be porting the code from the
Ugen to native ChucK code as trying to find the right parameters for such
sounds would get realy boring really fast if at every step I'd need to
re-compile ChucK itself.