[chuck-users] Installing on 64bit Ubuntu?

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 05:39:07 EDT 2007

Hi, I recently tried to get chuck working on my new UbuntuStudio 64bit
install and I can't get it to work properly.

When I "make linux-jack" it seems to go okay and the last couple lines are
as follows:

g++ -D__LINUX_JACK__ -c -O3 -D__CK_SNDFILE_NATIVE__ uana_xform.cpp
g++ -D__LINUX_JACK__ -c -O3 -D__CK_SNDFILE_NATIVE__ uana_extract.cpp
g++ -o chuck chuck.tab.o chuck.yy.o chuck_absyn.o chuck_parse.o
chuck_errmsg.o chuck_frame.o chuck_symbol.o chuck_table.o chuck_utils.o
chuck_vm.o chuck_instr.o chuck_scan.o chuck_type.o chuck_emit.o
chuck_compile.o chuck_dl.o chuck_oo.o chuck_lang.o chuck_ugen.o chuck_main.o
chuck_otf.o chuck_stats.o chuck_bbq.o chuck_shell.o chuck_console.o
chuck_globals.o digiio_rtaudio.o hidio_sdl.o midiio_rtmidi.o rtaudio.o
rtmidi.o ugen_osc.o ugen_filter.o ugen_stk.o ugen_xxx.o ulib_machine.o
ulib_math.o ulib_std.o ulib_opsc.o util_buffers.o util_console.o
util_string.o util_thread.o util_opsc.o util_math.o util_network.o
util_raw.o util_xforms.o util_hid.o uana_xform.o uana_extract.o  -lasound
-ljack -lstdc++ -ldl -lm -lsndfile
make[1]: Leaving directory

then when I run "chuck moe.ck" I get:

JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Where is my problem lying?  I'm of the linux age where I shouldn't have to
understand how to compile from code to get things to run and the Chuck
install instructions say nothing about which programs and libraries (other
than libsndfile) are required etc.. to make.  That info would be a very good
addition on the next release.