[chuck-users] ChucK and Processing

Arthur Clemens arthur at visiblearea.com
Sun Sep 2 09:04:34 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am quite new to ChucK (new to audio programming even), but my first
impressions are positive. The language is clear and uses familiar
concepts, so it is easy to pick up.

I have written a demo application to let Chuck be controlled through
Processing. See my blog post: http://visiblearea.com/blog/bin/view/
VisibleArea/ProcessingandChucK

The demo now plays audio files, but it would be easy to change this
to let it create and play custom audio.

A number of issues I encountered (perhaps due to my ignorance):

- It should be possible to start and stop the ChucK VM in Processing,
but no stop handlers are called at closing the app, leaving the VM in
the air. I understand this is an issue with Java applets.
- I would have liked to use 1 FilePlayer class that is loaded only
once into the VM, but I have not found a way to do this. Either:
    1) call 'chuck fileplayer.ck' before demo files are called causes
errors on running the demo files that FilePlayer is unknown
    2) for every demo file call 'chuck fileplayer.ck
chuckdemo.ck:all:sorts:of:params' causes an error that FilePlayer is
already in the global VM space and this will stop the demo file from
running
- It would be great if MP3 files are played
- How can I use the analysis tools to create an equalizer-like display?

I am interested in your opinions and suggestions.

Arthur Clemens