[chuck-users] how is this "on the fly"?

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 07:04:54 EDT 2007

Hi there -

I'm very new to ChucK so please be kind if I sound incredibly stupid,
and very angry because I am going nuts here.

(Kassen, I'm here - we had a very brief exchange about ChucK with
toplappers)

I'm writing my scripts using SciTE, and using the command-line VM. I have
tried some Chuck with tutorials, manual and helpful tips on forums, usually
by someone too good to be true like Kassen.I want to know what people really
 mean by OTF (on the fly) or by "livecoding" in Chuck.

If you prepare your files and code in advance and then just chuck the
shreds in and out of the VM, it really is a a bit like sequencing, rather
than livecoding. And if I change the code in the file, save it, then the
effects don't appear live, do they? I really don't see how i'm changing
the code "while its running" here.

Maybe i'm missing something freakin obvious, but I'm so frustrated
having had to learn Csound, Chuck, SuperCollider and all sorts of
new languages just because Python did not provide me with a simple
audio processing module. All I wanted to do using Python was analyse the
sound
of a live flute playing and plot its frequency, and other characteristics,
straight
off the audio port.

Now I'm a newbie at all of the above, and thats really fantastic because
it hasn't solved a single problem. It has certainly added a few more.

What a royal mess.

-------
1/f   )))
-------