[chuck-users] how is this "on the fly"?

AlgoMantra algomantra at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 09:25:36 EDT 2007

See guys, I wouldn't raise a hellcry without having tinkered
enough with what was available on the internet. Far too many
people have suggested that I use PySndObj without having
done any kind of realtime audio analysis on it themselves.
Allow me to restate my objective. I want "to read the sound of a live flute
off the audio port in realtime, and analyse it using Python". Now...

This is a reply to me from one of the main PySndObj developers:

thinking a little more about this, I think there is no pitch  tracker
there (I need to add one...). So you can try csound:

See that? at least he understood my question somewhat.
Now here's a response from the gentleman at Pymedia:

Can you please check voice_recorder_player.py or voice_recorder.py
from examples tar ball ?May be it will resolve most of the issues.

He is answering a completely different question! I'm talking about
intercepting data off a port, and he's talking of recording it. I had seen
the example he's talking about but it made no sense in the context.
And I was kinda lucky in that I know what a tarball is - most artists
who dabble in technology come from diverse background. ( I am one
of the 2 or 3 new media artists in India). So I find it odd that when
newbies
ask questions, developers answer very sweetly, but in code.

Perhaps the truth really is that adc => FFT => dac, which is so simple
for ChucK etc - has no analog in Python, and people are just too
ashamed to admit that they don't know how its done. To use Chuck to
do this, I will need to learn YET ANOTHER LANGUAGE called OSC
or something, which will talk to messages from Python (which are
messages originating in my phone coming via Bluetooth) so I can
pretty much give up on realtime.

I hate Python. Ugh, no! I love it, but I hate where I am with this
damn project.

*looks despondently at the wall picture of Lord Shiva,
who has a familiar serpent tied around his neck like a
scarf*

-------
1/f   )))
-------