[chuck-users] Future ChucK: wish list items and one comment

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:40:49 EDT 2008

Ge Wang wrote:

> Greetings Inventor and all!
>
>  Just a quick note of things on the way, some of which is in progress now,
>  others to happen largely this summer:
>

>  > I look into my crystal ball and I see the future of ChucK, AKA my wish
>  > list:
>
>  I like what your crystal ball shows, for it is almost completely in line
>  with our current TODO list...
>

>  > o MAUI ported to PC/Linux (on the way, woohoo!)
>
>  woohoo, indeed!
>
>  > o fix noteOff () problem
>
>  Hopefully by summer!
>

>  > o String Processing:  preferably inspired by Perl
>  > o Garbage Collection
>
>  I see these things going together.  Hopefully by end of summer!
>

>  > o File I/O:  I want to save and load program settings
>  > o printf ():  formatted text/numeric output.
>
>  Andrew Schran, Rebecca, and I are working on this, building on existing
>  work by Martin Robinson and others.  ETA: end of summer?
>

>  > o Hierarchical Events:  i.e. event when any button in an array is
>  > pressed
>
>  This is an often requested feature, we still need assess a few things
>  before going forth on it.  Huh, I said "assess"...
>

>  > o MAUI Expansion:  Text I/O, File Browser, 2D drawing, 3D drawing, etc.
>
>  There are actually even more encompassing, MAUI-friendly, plans for a
>  cross-platform 2D/3D graphics/OpenGL ChucKian API in general, which
>  would include among other things a 3D-accelerated UI programming
>  interface.  Probably not this summer though.
>

>  > o Tube Amplifier UGen
>  > o Piano STK Instrument
>
>  No plans for these yet, but hopefully with the to-be-improved UGen/UAna
>  import system, it'd be easier to add chuck-ins!  Also, there is a
>  prototype fluidsynth UGen in development (by Kyle Super) that loads and
>  plays soundfonts.
>
>  One of the reasons that things are going slowly: while we love rapid
>  development/releases when it's appropriate, we also believe that it's
>  important to make sure certain things (particularly new API and
>  syntax/semantics) work as elegantly as we can make them and can support
>  extensions down the line.  As for the lack of developer documentation,
>  this is indeed a huge gap we need to address.  We'll priority boost
>  that, hopefully an early summer project.
>

>  > And there is one observation I'd like to share...  Aside from it's
>  > musical capabilities, the one outstanding feature of ChucK to me is the
>  > way that everything works together.  ChucK is very Apple/Linux-like in
>  > the way that it seems to be so well thought out.  Of the dozen or two
>  > languages I've played with over the years, ChucK has got to be the most
>  > fun and the easiest to code because stuff just plain works.  So my hat's
>  > off to the dev ChucKists, us user ChucKists are having a blast with your
>  > hard work!
>
>  Wow, thanks!  This means a super great deal to us.  We'll keep on
>  ChucKin', and are stoked you are doing the same!

> [...]

Hello Ge,

What do you think about others contributing to the development
process?  The user community doesn't have a good way to maintain
patches or other contributions.  Some examples for instance are posted
to the wiki, some as attachments to the forum.

I for one really need 64-bit on linux working, but I am hesitant to
contribute because I don't know what the process is.

Perhaps we need 1) read-only revision control system access so that we
can generate patches, 2) an issue tracking system of some sort to
submit patches to, and 3) a sourceforge or similar project for chuck
users to maintain other contributions (examples, Objects, UGens, etc.)

Regards,

   michael