[chuck-users] Future ChucK: wish list items and one comment

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 16:17:40 EDT 2008

Hi Ge,

I'm so glad to hear you are interested in contributed code.  I was
really wondering what was going on with the chuck project since there
seemed to be very sparse, large updates.  I'm really happy to see it
progress, it's really a fun program, and I'd really love to see a
community form around it.  (which of course has already happened, but
it should continue to grow)

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Ge Wang <ge at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
>  This is already there, but poorly publicized.  This is one of the things
>  we hope to improve in this summer big round of ChucKian (anti)progress.
>  Also, we hope to move from CVS to SVN at some point.  In the meantime:
>
>  https://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/chuck-users/2005-October/000091.html

I'm currently using the CVS repo to follow development, though I
haven't had time yet to make any nice contributions.
However, if you're thinking of switching version control systems at
some point I have to highly recommend skipping SVN and going to Git.
It makes dealing with contributed code so much easier, you wouldn't
believe.  It automates merging and applying patches, and meanwhile
allows people to follow other people's branches, all without requiring
you to give random people write access to the repository.

I won't bug about it after this, but I really feel it has to be
mentioned at least once.. I started playing with Git a few months back
and now I use it all the time and can hardly imagine going back to a
non-distributed source control system.  For what it's worth I imported
the CVS into git and it compressed the entire history of Chuck down to
6.8 M.  That makes it totally trivial for transport around the
internet with a distributed development model.  Meanwhile you get to
keep complete control of the "official" repository.

You can clone it here if you want to try it out:
git-clone http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~sinclair/git/chuck_dev.git

(not for general consumption!  this would need to be retro-actively
cleaned up with better author info and such before being useful.)

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Michael Heuer <heuermh at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Now only if we had namespaces and imports so that we might organize
>  all the contributed code!  ;)

On this subject, I think it needs to be considered how contrib would
be organized.
The Pd project originally organized their code according to
contributor.  This is a symptom of using CVS to give different
permissions for each subfolder.  There is currently a bit of a
disagreement in the Pd community about whether things should be
organized according to author or according to usage.  The latter makes
a lot more sense (imho) and makes it a lot easier to find things.  I'm
personally a fan of eventually integrating contributed code into the
main project so that it's all accessible instead of drawing lines in
the sand.

Anyways, just some ideas, and getting a way to contribute UGen's and
such into the main code would be great!

cheers,
Steve