[chuck-users] OSX updates =< real-time audio?

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Apr 14 03:42:59 EDT 2008

Greetings again!

Following up... after additional testing on the inconsistent real-time
behavior, we have found:

* buffer size has no apparent effect
* system scheduling priority (--level) has no apparent effect
* number of buffers has no apparent effect
* BLOCKING nearly fixes the problem, but this is undesirable because it
is a bit more inefficient and also less amenable to really small buffer
sizes, compared to CALLBACK.

To help make sure I am not going insane (faster than expected), I also
tried running PD (both 40-2 and 41-4).  In both cases, similar audio
hickups were occurring even when playing a single sine wave on my newly
upgraded system.  At least on my setup, something is fairly wrong.  Not
sure if it's the new software/firmware updates, or me doing something
ill-advised (fairly standard M.O.), or something else altogether.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Ge!