[chuck-users] Calculating Motion with Accelerometers

Christopher Graham chrisgr99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:12:15 EDT 2008

I don't think it's possible for the single sensor approach to detect
rotation about the gravity vector.  During a pure rotation of that
type none of the outputs from the sensors change.  At best a single
accelerometer can theoretically give 5 degrees of freedom, although
deriving motion in space from double integrating acceleration is only
reasonably good for short-time movements.  It needs to be frequently
recalibrated by source of absolute information such as the optical
sensor on the Wii or a gyroscope.

As an alternative to a pure accelerometer approach, here is a chip
that is, or soon will be, available from Gyration that combines an
accelerometer and a gyroscope on a single chip, along with a built in
processor to convert the data to position/motion data.  They use it in
their pointing devices and mice so the price should not be too high.

http://www.gyration.com/tt_MotionChip.aspx

I am working with acceleration/position sensing in the development of
a new wind instrument family of products (see www.multiwind.com ).
The current version, soon going into alpha testing, includes a 3-axis
accelerometer chip of the type in the Wii along with a variety of
other sensors including breath pressure.  All sensor data is available
through OSC.  I've been testing it with several OSC applications
including ChucK.

- Chris