[chuck-users] MAUI for PC/Linux

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:48:31 EDT 2008

Kas,

> Yes, OSC could use some love, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the
> link between shreds and OSC hierarchy though, could you elaborate on that,
> please?

Yes, of course.  So, a while back (and I had promised to send video
and school took over my life instead) I worked on a project building a
trash-sculpture with two bands, who graciously donated audio samples
to the project.  The trash sculpture had things you could turn, twist,
open, close, etc and each of those would trip various sensors
connected to an Arduino microcontroller board, which sent ASCII text
to Python script, which bundled the information as OSC messages and
sent them along to Chuck which would happily scrub away at the poor
bands' audio samples and turn them into an audience-driven remix.
(That's the backstory.)

Between Chuck and the Python script, I tried to create an OSC address
hierarchy not unlike the following:

/control
    /birdnoise
        /gain
        /filterq
    /aliensquawk
        /freq
        /gain

/router                               (this was for controlling the
Python script)
    /shutdown
    /reset

Or something like that.  While other OSC implementations allowed for
the parsing of the addresses and assignment of the address hierarchy
to different parts of code.  Now, I'm not positive that my knowledge
of the OSC specification is on target, but here's what I found
frustrating to do in Chuck.

I have a message: "/control/birdnoise/freq" for instance.  So I took a
look at the example OSC receiver code, which is here:

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/examples/osc/OSC_recv.ck

Here's the part of the code that i'm talking about:

// create an address in the receiver, store in new variable
recv.event( "/sndbuf/buf/rate, f" ) @=> OscEvent oe;

First, for some reason, chuck didn't care if i specified it like this either:

// create an address in the receiver, store in new variable
recv.event( "/sndbuf/buf/rate", f ) @=> OscEvent oe;        //notice
the difference in where i break the string.  what's the deal with this
method?

And then, also you can listen to two events at once, so if you wanted
to also send "/sndbuf/buf/gain" you'd have to set up a new shred...
but that also necessarily means a new receiver, a new port, and a new
event.  The sender will have to know that to send "/sndbuf/buf/gain,"
they have to send to a different destination.  So, what's the point in
the hierarchy, right?  Everything is flat and everything is it's own
net address.

Unless I'm wrong about OSC, this seems like a serious limitation.  I
feel like I should be able to structure my code such that it can route
"/sndbuf/buf/rate" messages to the part of code dealing with rate and
"/sndbuf/buf/gain" messages to the part of the code dealing with gain
*within a single shred.*  After all, that's where my SndBuf buf =>
dac; patch is.

The other thing is that, OSC events listening for two different
messages on the same port, will respond erroneously if the number and
types of data values match, meaning that the OSC "signature" in Chuck
has nothing to do with the address.  This also seems "wrong" to me.
I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered that.

Anyway, I'm done ranting for now.  I have to admit that I'm a bit
obsessed with OSC in general.

cheers,
mike

urls is coming...