[chuck-users] Asio build (please?)

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 19:22:51 EDT 2008

Hey, Steve,

Do you have IE7 installed?  Just out of curiosity...

That's a good question. I looked and it turns out I had kept IE6 around,
probably in case I ran into HTML help files, but definitely no 7.

> I've had that error before with programs compiled on VS 2005.  I ran
> "depends" on the executable and it shows that there's a flagged
> dependency on IEFRAME.DLL.  I've determined on some previous projects
> that sometimes compiling with IE7 installed makes programs not work on
> computers that don't have IE7 installed.  For reasons, of course, that
> have absolutely nothing to do with web browsing.
>
> In other words, I think it might be another instance of this little dung
> nugget:
>
> http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~sinclair/content/blog/fun_times_in_microsoft-land<http://www.music.mcgill.ca/%7Esinclair/content/blog/fun_times_in_microsoft-land>
>
> At this point I think I can't even express my disdain for MS developer
> tools.

I agree with your choice to keep things polite and civilised here and
completely identify with how hard this is in this case.

>  Anyways, I guess it'd be best to get it compiling with MingW.
> In the mean time I'll try compiling it on an XP computer, since I'm at
> work and have access to one.

I just tried the new XP version that you posted on the forum but get the
same error. As I understand the link you gave above some programs compiled
under XP in this way on a computer that has IE7 (which I imagine your XP box
does?) can then only run on Vista, is that correct? In that case this is at
least a predictable error, which I suppose is at least of some help.

It's a good thing I'm a polite guy because otherwise I might be tempted to
make some medical diagnosis about who-ever thought of this, something I'm
not qualified to do, then sugest a method of treatment that I believe would
be both unconventional and illegal.

I'd like to sugest we document these findings in the docs for compiling the
Win version, hopefully this would avoid somebody else running into this in
the future. This sounds quite ugly to me and I feel it would be better if
people that are on Windows exclusively, yet not as well-versed in these
matters as you are, could have a go at editing the source as well. To me
large sections (the STK comes to mind) look quite readable but issues like
this would take all the joy out of poking around.

Lots of thanks for taking the time to take this this far already,