[chuck-users] Asio build (please?)

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:28:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Kassen <signal.automatique at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you have IE7 installed?  Just out of curiosity...
>
> That's a good question. I looked and it turns out I had kept IE6 around,
> probably in case I ran into HTML help files, but definitely no 7.

Okay, good to know.  Very silly, it shouldn't even matter.

>>  Anyways, I guess it'd be best to get it compiling with MingW.
>> In the mean time I'll try compiling it on an XP computer, since I'm at
>> work and have access to one.
>
> I just tried the new XP version that you posted on the forum but get the
> same error. As I understand the link you gave above some programs compiled
> under XP in this way on a computer that has IE7 (which I imagine your XP box
> does?) can then only run on Vista, is that correct? In that case this is at
> least a predictable error, which I suppose is at least of some help.

Yup.  I probably won't get a chance tomorrow, but I have a Windows box
at school without IE7 installed so later this week I can try on that
one.  Hm, come to think of it I may even be able to do it over ssh.
(cygwin yay)

> It's a good thing I'm a polite guy because otherwise I might be tempted to
> make some medical diagnosis about who-ever thought of this, something I'm
> not qualified to do, then sugest a method of treatment that I believe would
> be both unconventional and illegal.

Heheh.. it seriously blew my mind when I realized they'd introduced a
bug that means that if you have IE7 installed when you compile
completely unrelated software, you must have IE7 or Vista in order to
run it.  Totally insane.  You can't make this stuff up.

> I'd like to sugest we document these findings in the docs for compiling the
> Win version, hopefully this would avoid somebody else running into this in
> the future. This sounds quite ugly to me and I feel it would be better if
> people that are on Windows exclusively, yet not as well-versed in these
> matters as you are, could have a go at editing the source as well. To me
> large sections (the STK comes to mind) look quite readable but issues like
> this would take all the joy out of poking around.

Documentation is good, and in fact the mail archives even work quite
well for that.  However, I think the real answer would be to get it
going under MingW.  MSYS can be a bit of a pain to get set up, but
I've found it quite reliable once you've got it working.  One idea
that came to mind is to fork msysGit:

http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

I'm a fan of this project because in addition to being a great source
code management program, it provides a single installer that unpacks
itself wherever you want with a complete MSYS/MingW environment ready
for hacking.  Tweaking it to include everything needed to compile
ChucK wouldn't be all that hard.  I'll try to look into this when I
get a chance.

Another thing I'd like to do sometime is create a tutorial on how to
make a ugen.  Looking at the source, it seems really non-obvious, so I
think having some explicit help in this direction would probably get
more people interested.

> Lots of thanks for taking the time to take this this far already,

No problem.  I'd really like to see more people collaborating here, so
I'm all for it.

cheers,
Steve