[chuck-users] Blob (was; Physics Engine In Chuck)

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:15:36 EST 2008

I think the part that I don't get about what you're saying is that you
seem convinced that create extensions (ckx) is a good idea, yet you
are worried about fracturing the development model.  I'm suggesting
providing a place where we can build them into the actual program.  I
would claim that creating ckx extensions is far more "fracturing",
like the Pd model.

I'm not a fan of plugins.  I think including the kitchen sink is a
good way to go with this kind of program, because it gives you
something you can depend on.  With two versions available, an
experimental version and a 'master' version, you can easily say, "this
program works with real ChucK", or "this program works with the
experimental version".

If you start throwing ckx files in there, it becomes much more
complicated.  "This program works with real ChucK, with this and that
extension loaded, which you can go download from this guy's website",
etc.  That's why I thought it would be prudent to create a community
edition that allows people to get their code in to a central location,
without putting any overhead on the ChucK team.

Using a central git repo, we can have branches for each feature people
want to integrate, and then just give a shout to the ChucK team
saying, "hey we did this, it's in branch X, grab the patch if you
want."  The key thing being that there will be a "mob" branch that
anyone can submit patches to without having to ask for permission.

Steve