[chuck-users] Blob (was; Physics Engine In Chuck)

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 18:27:12 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Tom Lieber <lieber at princeton.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Tom Lieber <lieber at princeton.edu> wrote:
>>> srsly. and with github, you also get the web page. and on the
>>> 'network' page you can see everybody's branches.
>>>
>>>  http://github.com/AllTom/chuck/tree/1.2.1.2
>>>
>>> Someone should do it!
>>
>> Oh cool I guess it's done then. :)
>>
>> I was thinking of maintain a branch called "upstream" that is always
>> synced against the CVS.
>>
>> As far as I know github doesn't support "mob", that's why I was
>> thinking of using git.or.cz.
>
> Well, wherever. :)
>
> Free-for-all doesn't scare you at all? GitHub doesn't have that, but
> it does at least flatten the hierarchy -- anyone's branch is as
> "official" as any other one, so people will cluster how they will.

Just to follow up, I finally got around to making my public git repo:

http://repo.or.cz/w/chuck-blob.git

It's a clone of the ChucK CVS rather than just a dump of the release
tarball.  I'll generally try to keep "upstream" up to date.  (I'll use
a cron job I think..)

Clone it with:

git clone git://repo.or.cz/chuck-blob.git

Once you have some patches for mob, you can push them with:

git push origin mob

(Too bad it's not called 'blob'!)

I'll hold off on creating any kind of website to describe using it.
For now, this just happens to be my public ChucK workspace, which
should be convenient to clone for anyone wanting to work on ChucK.
Just think of it as an alternative to using the CVS.

You can also just post git-generated patches to the mailing list as
usual, and I may integrate them into a public branch.

Steve