[chuck-users] cast dur to time?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:09:19 EST 2008

On 07/01/2008, Michael Heuer <heuermh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems to me that now / minute => float; should be an error.
>
> now is an instant, not a duration.  I feel the concepts should be kept
> separate.

I thought about this now. There's some merit to it, after all you are very
right that instances and durations are separate things and for a moment I
considered that yours might be a more logical way out then mine but in a way
ChucK derives a lot of power from using these loosely.

now - (now % T) => now;

...like in the OTF examples is a good example of that, here "now" acts very
much like the duration since the VM's birth and not like a instant. Taking a
modulo of a instant makes no sense at all while taking one of a duration
does.

I'm a bit lost here now (no pun intended but it's funny) perhaps Ge will
have some insights to share about the underlying plan.