[chuck-users] cast dur to time?

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:12:35 EST 2008

Time is relative.

So, if we have a "now" that refers the instant "now" is parsed by the
compiler, it seems to suggest, as Kassen is suggesting, that we ought also
to have a "birth" keyword that refers to the VM's zeroth instant, or origin
time.  I suppose it also follows that we could have a kind of "me.birth"
attribute in reference to the time (relative to the VM starting) that the
current shred (i.e. me) was sporked.

I say "relative to the VM starting" to avoid the idea of shred-local
timelines.  One time to rule them all...  ;)

Still, this would be sugar.

I really like the argument that if (time / duration = float) is legal, then
(time / float = duration) should also be legal, however, it also follows
that (time = duration * float), which I don't like.  (2::second * 4) ought
to return 8::second.  So, I think that we're dealing with concepts here that
don't fit squarely into the model of mathematics.  After all, we don't
multiply strings and floats, do we?

I'm all for a more rigorous understanding of these types, though.  This is
all very confusing.

-Mike

http://semiotech.org
http://blog.deadlylittlepills.com