[chuck-users] cast dur to time?

mike clemow gelfmuse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:25:55 EST 2008

Okay...  affine spaces.  I'm going to have to wikipedia that one, i'm
afraid (high school math ain't doin' it for me here ;-)  I understand
the analogy of vectors and point, though--I think that lends some
credence to the idea that Chuck is already on the right path as far
how the dur and time types work.

I still have a few questions.  The first is for Kassen:  Why do you
want to know the VM start time?  (Just curious)  Although, I don't
like the idea of dur -> time casting, I don't see why the following
isn't legal:

0.0 $ time => time zero;

Also, if we have a special keyword for the birth of the VM, on the
precedent of how "now" currently works, does that mean that
subtracting duration from "birth" would be equivalent to adding
duration to "now?"  Does that add anything, or just confuse things
further?

1::second => now;  // equivalent to 1::second +=> now; as Kassen reminded us

thus:

1::second -=> birth;   // same thing, effectively???

I'm just thinking out loud...

-Mike

http://semiotech.org
http://blog.deadlylittlepills.com