[chuck-users] Quick Joystick Question

Spencer Salazar ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jul 14 13:10:45 EDT 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Kassen wrote:

> 2008/7/11 <ssalazar at cs.princeton.edu>:
> I don't recall ever hearing about using six joystick axes in chuck,
> but it should work, assuming that it is USB HID compliant joystick.
> Should you find that it doesn't work, please let me know, as that
> would be a bug :)
>

> Spencer, do you know what the protocol's max is there? I'm thinking
> on and off about building my own joystick device speciffically for
> in the future. A low max would rule out integrating a small mixer-
> like interface, that wouldn't be a huge deal as mixer-like
> interfaces are generally available but it would be nice to know it
> ahead of time. I couldn't quicly find it in the offical HID specs,
> it wasn't so clear to me where to look.

I've found the USB and USB-HID protocols to be fairly nebulous, so its
not clear to me if there is a limit on the number of axes and what the
limit would be.  My guess would be that its high enough to not get in
the way most of the time.

Note that on Windows systems, chuck uses DirectInput for joystick
input, which limits it (IIRC) to 8 axes.  On Mac/Linux, the limit
should be the limit of the USB-HID spec.

spencer