[chuck-users] chuck 1.2.1.2 still doesn't work on 64-bit linux

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:29:18 EDT 2008

2008/7/21 Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1 at gmail.com>:

> Sorry, just that this one keeps coming up, and is obviously a bug of
> interest to several people.  But a topic like "chuck still doesn't
> work on 64-bit linux" sounds like someone wondering why it hasn't been
> fixed yet.  And the answer is simply, "because no one's fixed it."

Yes, I see. Still, I didn't read Michael's post that way, I read it more as
asking whether anybody has made any progress and implying Michael himself
had at least had some results using compatibility drivers (which I think is
news?).

I think that even asking why something hasn't been fixed yet (though
probably not in those exact words) can be a constructive thing and need not
be a "complaint". For example; I have been asking from time to time why
Philippe's results in getting a ASIO build haven't yet been merged into the
main Windows version. To me that's not a complaint as such, there may be
good reasons, for example for a long time there was no suitable test system
at Princeton, there could be a lack of time.

I think that in many cases figuring out where exactly we are stuck can lead
to people helping to move things forward. In the case of ASIO there was a
set of tests done with a relatively wide variety of ASIO-enabled soundcards,
I don't think those tests would've been done as publicly and in that way if
Ge hadn't pointed out ASIO was stuck partially because of a lack of testing
systems. With Ge's move to Stanford this could have changed, we'll never
know if nobody asks and if there are no requests it may be harder to place
priorities.

Because of this I didn't feel it was benefitial to describe this post as a
"complaint"; I think we are all grateful for what *has* been done by those
generously donating their time. Michael's post itself didn't strike me as
particularly demanding (for lack of a better word) but I can see how the
subject title could give that impression.