[chuck-users] comma is and? undocumented feature

ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU ssalazar at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sat Jun 28 19:34:22 EDT 2008

One pretty important use for me is in writing clear for loops that use
multiple counter variables.  For example, suppose you have a loop like
this:

for((0 => int i), (0 => int j); i < max_value; i++, 2 +=> j)
{
    // do stuff
}

Without this way of using the comma, the loop must be written like so:

0 => int j;
for(0 => int i; i < max_value; i++)
{
    // do stuff
    2 +=> j;
}

Okay, thats fine, and often functionally equivalent, but its less
maintainable.  For example, you can't use the continue keyword in the
loop, unless you also add the j += 2; part each time you continue.

Also, you can't really tell how the loop iterates just by looking at
the first line. In the comma-enabled version, its easy to see that this
loop iterates i by 1 up to max_value, and j by 2 up to max_value * 2.
In the second version, you need to look at the end of the loop block in
addition to any continue statements to see how the loop iterates--who
cares for simple loops, but nasty with crazy nesting loops.

spencer