[chuck-users] delay times of STK delays seem to be 1 sample off?

Kassen signal.automatique at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 11:55:41 EST 2008

On 03/03/2008, Brad Garton <garton at columbia.edu> wrote:

> I had a problem with the 'pull' model, though, in trying to craft a Ugen
> that
> would allow me to send UI input to chuck from an external environment.
> This was in the chuck~ object, where I hoped to be able to set up a way of
> connecting data coming from max/msp objects (sliders, etc.) into an
> executing chuck script.

<snip>

If I understand correctly I don't think this is a "problem with the pull
model" per-se but more of a issue in two very different models touching
each-other.

I don't think linking all MAX "cables" to ChucK "Ugen connections" is the
most sensible way of linking them. Some MAX cables will represent concepts
closer to ChucK code or events while others will indeed be more like
Ugen-connections.

How hard/possible would it be to represent such a slider as a variable event
member and the changing of the slider as broadcasting the event? Perhaps a
sort of virtual protocol could be created, something like Hid or MIDI except
linked to MAX objects instead if hardware objects?

I would say that here "crafting a event" might be a more fertile solution
then "crafting a Ugen". My knowledge of MAX is rather rudimentary though.

Hope that's at least of some help,