[chuck-users] delay times of STK delays seem to be 1 sample off?

Brad Garton garton at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 3 12:58:53 EST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Kassen wrote:

> If I understand correctly I don't think this is a "problem with the
> pull model" per-se but more of a issue in two very different models
> touching each-other.

true.

> I don't think linking all MAX "cables" to ChucK "Ugen connections"
> is the most sensible way of linking them. Some MAX cables will
> represent concepts closer to ChucK code or events while others will
> indeed be more like Ugen-connections.

The idea would be to instantiate a chuck object like this [chuck~ 2
5] where the first number is the number of output channels and the
second is the number of inlets on the object, each of which would be
receiving a stream of data from some 'external' object.  These would
be represented as variables in the chuck~ script, and whenever a
value of that variable was requested *during* the execution of the
script (see below, this is the problem) it would deliver the
currently-set value coming from the 'external' object.  This isn't
hard to do, I've built other objects like this.

> How hard/possible would it be to represent such a slider as a
> variable event member and the changing of the slider as
> broadcasting the event? Perhaps a sort of virtual protocol could be
> created, something like Hid or MIDI except linked to MAX objects
> instead if hardware objects?

That's kind-of what I do now, variables can come into chuck~ as $1,
$2, etc. BUT:

when the script is sent to the chuck parser, those values get
'frozen' when the script executes.  This is the problem -- I want to
be able to have a chuck~ variable (probably would have to be a ugen)
that will dynamically change as values come into the post-parser
executing script.  I think MIDI and OSC in chuck possibly work this
way, but I'm not sure.

> I would say that here "crafting a event" might be a more fertile
> solution then "crafting a Ugen". My knowledge of MAX is rather
> rudimentary though.

Could be -- how is chuck set up to respond to 'events' during script
execution?  I'm missing something, I think.  Although this is max-
oriented, I suspect that the pd chuck~ probably has a similar situation.

brad
http://music.columbia.edu/~brad